Professor Higgs received many congratulatory messages after the CERN seminar of July 4 and the subsequent publication of the two papers by the ATLAS and CMS collaborations on July 31 2012.
These include messages from:
- The Prime Minister Rt Hon David Cameron MP
- Rt Hon David Willetts MP, Minister for Universities and Science
- Rt Hon Michael Moore MP, Secretary of State for Scotland
- Rt Hon Ed Milliband MP, Leade of the Opposition
- Alasdair Allan, Minister for Learning, Science and Scotland's Languages
- Sir John Beddington, Chief Scientific Adviser to the Government
- Professor John Womersley, Chief Executive, Science and Technology Facilities Council
- Sir John Arbuthnott, President of the Royal Society of Edinburgh
- Professor Sir Richard Trainer, Principal & President of King's College London
- Stephen McGeoch, Chair of Institute of Physics in Scotland
- Iain F MacLaren, Joint Secretary Senior Fellows Club, The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
A selection of these letters of congratulation are shown here.