You will use unique, world-leading instrumentation, all developed in Edinburgh, to image the flow of very concentration suspensions at single-particle resolution in a variety of geometries. Understanding such flows is both industrially important as well as intellectually challenging: at first sight, there simply is no room for the particles to shear past each other! The project offers you the opportunity to become an expert in rheology (the science of the deformation and flow of complex fluids) as well as microscopy as well as image processing. There may be opportunities to work with our overseas collaborators, such as Prof Eric Weeks in Emory University, Atlanta.
- Professor Wilson Poon (School of Physics & Astronomy, University of Edinburgh)
The project supervisor welcomes informal enquiries about this project.
Find out more about this research area
The links below summarise our research in the area(s) relevant to this project:
- Find out more about Soft Matter Physics.
- Find out more about the Institute for Condensed Matter and Complex Systems.
- Find out how to apply for our PhD degrees.
- Find out about fees and funding and studentship opportunities.
- View and complete the application form (on the main University website).
- Find out how to contact us for more information.