PhD project: Coco butter stabilised emulsions
Stabilising emulsion droplets using crystals of coco butter is fascinating and potentially tasty! While this has been demonstrated as a proof-of-principle it is yet to be thoroughly investigated and understood. The emulsification process involves both making the coco butter crystals and stabilising the droplets, potentially at the same time.
In this PhD project, you will become a chocolatier to droplets and you will need to gain a systematic understanding of how to tune droplet properties, how this relates to coco butter phase behaviour and how to predict stability and subsequent aging. The results will be of both fundamental and applied interest.
- Professor Paul Clegg (School of Physics & Astronomy, University of Edinburgh)
The project supervisor welcomes informal enquiries about this project.
Find out more about this research area
The links below summarise our research in the area(s) relevant to this project:
- Find out more about Soft Matter Physics.
- Find out more about the Institute for Condensed Matter and Complex Systems.
- Find out how to apply for our PhD degrees.
- Find out about fees and funding and studentship opportunities.
- View and complete the application form (on the main University website).
- Find out how to contact us for more information.