ATLAS is a high-energy physics experiment at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, near Geneva. ATLAS is searching for new physics in the head-on collisions of protons of extraordinarily high energy. Data from the ATLAS experiment will probe the basic forces that have shaped our Universe since the beginning of time and that will determine its fate.
The ATLAS Edinburgh group made substantial contributions to the direct discovery of the Higgs boson announced in July 2012. The discovered particle is named after Emeritus Professor at the University of Edinburgh Peter Higgs. Peter Higgs and François Englert were jointly awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics on 8th October 2013, “for the theoretical discovery of a mechanism that contributes to our understanding of the origin of mass of subatomic particles”.
A simulated proton-proton collision within ATLAS
The ATLAS Edinburgh group is led by Prof. Phil Clark, Dr Christos Leonidopoulos and Dr Victoria Martin.
Our group, consisting of 27 researches, is contributing in the following areas:
- Higgs boson analyses - measuring the properties of the recently-discovered Higgs boson
- Exotic particle searches- searching for new particles not predicted by the Standard Model
- Forward pixel detector- developing and building an upgrade for the charged particle tracking detector
- Detector simulation - improving the tools used to simulate the performance of the ATLAS detector
- High-Level Trigger - improving the performance of the ATLAS trigger software
- Data management - storing and distributing the huge datasets produced by ATLAS
PhD project opportunities in ATLAS
People in ATLAS
Telephone numbers in the list below are shown as UK numbers. Callers from outside the UK should remove the leading zero and use the UK country code (+44).
p.j.clark [at] ed.ac.uk
christos.leonidopoulos [at] ed.ac.uk
victoria.martin [at] ed.ac.uk
|Stephan Eisenhardt||Senior Research Fellow|
s.eisenhardt [at] ed.ac.uk
|Michele Faucci Gianelli||Senior Research Associate|
michele.faucci.giannelli [at] ed.ac.uk
hasib.ahmed [at] ed.ac.uk
|Liza Mijovic||Postdoctoral Research Associate|
liza.mijovic [at] ed.ac.uk
awashbro [at] ph.ed.ac.uk
b.m.wynne [at] ed.ac.uk
j.webster [at] ed.ac.uk
|Matthew Heath||Postgraduate Student|
m.heath [at] ed.ac.uk
|Xanthe Hoad||Postgraduate Student|
s1463804 [at] sms.ed.ac.uk
|Andreas Sogaard||Postgraduate Student|
andreas.sogaard [at] ed.ac.uk