Email: jsd [at] roe [dot] ac [dot] uk
Tel: +44 (0)131 668 8477
Location: Room U16, ROE
I am Head of Institute and Professor of Extra-Galactic Astronomy at the Institute for Astronomy, an institute within the School of Physics & Astronomy at the University of Edinburgh, and also part of the Scottish Universities Physics Alliance.
I am a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and of the Institute of Physics, and currently hold a European Research Council Advanced Fellowship and a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award.
My research interests are in extragalactic astronomy and cosmology: galaxy formation and evolution, the cosmic history of star formation, the first galaxies and cosmic reionization, and the connection between the growth of galaxies and black holes.
I have taught many courses at various levels within the University, most recently the Level-11 Radiation & Matter course, details of which can be found at http://www.roe.ac.uk/~jsd/Rad_Matt.html.
- Non-parametric analysis of the rest-frame UV sizes and morphological disturbance amongst L* galaxies at 4 <z <8 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 457, 1, p. 440-464
- The galaxy UV luminosity function at z ≃ 2-4; new results on faint-end slope and the evolution of luminosity density DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 456, 3, p. 3194-3211
- Infrared Color Selection of Massive Galaxies at z > 3 DOI, Astrophysical Journal, 816, 2
- Identification of z ≳ 2 Herschel 500 μM Sources Using Color Deconfusion DOI, The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series, 222, 1, p. 4
- The Lyman continuum escape fraction of galaxies at z = 3.3 in the VUDS-LBC/COSMOS field DOI, Astronomy & Astrophysics, 585, p. 48