Find out where we are located and how to get to us.
The School of Physics and Astronomy is housed in two locations in Edinburgh:
Both are situated close to each other, about 2 miles south of Edinburgh city centre.
How to get to us
From Edinburgh Airport
Edinburgh Airport (EDI) lies to the north-west of the city and is served by a large range of domestic and international carriers.
- Taxis: The taxi rank is directly outside the airport's main entrance. A journey to JCMB or ROE takes about 20–30 minutes (longer at peak times) and will cost around £15-£20.
- Tram: A tram service connects Edinburgh Airport with the city centre, running at least every 10 minutes from early morning until late night. Get off at Princes Street stop and then catch 41 bus for The Mound direct to King's Buildings campus, see below for more details.
- Bus: The airport is served by Lothian Buses, there are two recommended routes.
- Skylink 300 runs from the airport terminal to Cameron Toll shopping centre; the second to last stop at Lygon Road is 5 minute walk from King's Buildings, see below. It runs every 20 minutes and the journey takes around 1 hour 10minutes, often longer at peak times.
- Airlink 100 runs from the airport terminal to the city centre. This is a limit stop express bus running every 10 minutes, 24 hours per day. It terminated at Waverley Bridge (Waverley Station), then its a short walk along Princes Street to The Mound and then take 41 bus direct to King's Building campus, see below for more details.
From Edinburgh Waverley railway station
Edinburgh's principal railway station, Edinburgh Waverley (EDB), is well placed on the UK rail network and is served by a number of rail operators. It is conveniently located in the heart of the city.
- Taxis: The taxi rank is on Market Street, follow signs in station. A black cab will cost around £12-£15 and should take around 15 minutes, depending on traffic.
- Bus: See below for details about buses from the city centre.
Bus from the city centre
There are a number of Lothian Buses bus services from the city centre to the King's Buildings campus, where JCMB is located. ROE is then a short walk from JCMB. Tickets cost £1.70 per journey cash (no change given).
- Service 41: the most direct bus from the city centre is service 41, which you can take from The Mound, (stop MD) beside Royal Scottish Academy which is a five minute walk from Waverley Stations, Airbus 100 stop and Princes Street tram stop. This bus runs approximately every 10 minutes during the day and has a stop near the ROE before terminating at Merchiston House bus stop on the King’s Building campus. This service also passes Potterrow and Buccleuch Street, where the George Square Central campus is located.
- Services 42 and 67: also depart from The Mound and both stop just outside the King's Buildings campus on Mayfield Road. These services are less frequent.
- Service 24: Departs from Lothian Road (west end of Princes Street) and stops just outside King's Building campus on Mayfield Road.
- Skylink 300, 3,7,8,29,31,37 and 49: All these services stop within 5-7 mins walk. Get off at Lygon Road stop (outside the Travelodge Edinburgh Cameron Toll), cross the main road at pedestrian crossing, walk up Lygon Road, at top turn left and the King's Building campus is 400 m on your right.