A year abroad

If you would like to gain experience of studying abroad for a year, the School has two options available.

Studying courses abroad

You have the opportunity to take the courses and assessments at one of our partner institutions as part of the General Exchanges (which include most of our international destinations) or Subject-Specific Exchanges (which are available only for Physics students).  The study abroad can be taken during year 3 (Junior Honours), with MPhys students also having the opportunity to undertake the study abroad during year 4 (Senior Honours). 

Student Exchanges

Research work with a partner institution

The School runs a Physics with a Year Abroad degree, where you undertake a research project at one of our partner institutions during the Senior Honours year.  This project will be on a topic agreed with your host supervisor. You will produce a literature survey, written project report and give an oral presentation. Students have recently undertook their year abroad at TRIUMF - Canada’s national laboratory for particle and nuclear physics, The University of Melbourne or The University of Sydney.  There are plans to include further destinations in this list in the future.

Physics with a Year Abroad

Find out what some of our student say about their experience studying abroad

Jarand Narbuvold

An international exchange is a truly amazing experience that you will carry with you for the rest of your life.

Max Nolte

Don’t think about it, just do it.

India Friswell

It was a fantastic experience.

Lily Berman

I got to have the most exciting 8 months of my life so far