Dr D McKain
David is a member of the following School research group:
I am part of the School's Computing Services Team. I do a bit of everything, but specialise in application, web and software development, and the underlying infrastructure for these, and provide support and training in research computing and generic programming & computing skills.
Knowledge and skills
- Lots of Java, various bits of JEE, Spring Framework, Hibernate etc.
- Mark-up and document transformation technologies, e.g. XML, XSLT, MathML etc.
- Some modern web nonsense: Angular, TypeScript etc.
- Other programming languages: Python, Perl, C
- PHP and horrible PHP-based nonsense like Drupal
- Shell scripting and process automation
- High Performance Computing & parallel programming (e.g. MPI, OpenMP)
- Web and application server management: Apache, nginx, Tomcat
- Linux system administration
- Linux configuration management with LCFG
- Compute cluster management (Grid Engine)
Open source software
- QTIWorks: Reference implementation of the Question & Test Interoperability v2.1 specification
- Jacomax: Simple Java connector for the Maxima Computer Algebra System.
- SnuggleTeX: Simple LaTeX fragment parser for Java
- Photography (www.lichtfriedhof.com)
- Zurzeit lerne ich deutsch.
- Bidh mi ag ionnsachadh Gàidhlig a-nis.
- How Design of Online Learning Materials Can Accommodate the Heterogeneity in Student Abilities, Aptitudes and Aspirations, Learning and teaching in Higher Education, 2, p. 3-25