Professor P N Best, FRSE
Philip is a member of the following School research institute:
- Observational cosmology, studies of galaxy formation, and the high redshift Universe.
- Active galactic nuclei (AGN), in particular their host galaxies, and their influence on galaxy evolution.
- Radio astronomy, the cosmic evolution of radio sources, their growth, and radio source shocks
- Star-forming galaxies at high redshift, and the star-formation history of the Universe
- Clusters and groups of galaxies, and the effect of environment on the nature and properties of galaxies.
I have designed, organised and lectured a number of different courses, from pre-honours to Masters level, as well as serving on the School's Teaching Committee for five years, and being Senior Director of Studies of four years. Currently, I organise and lecture the pre-honours course "Discovering Astronomy" and the Senior Honours level course "High Energy Astrophysics" as well as supervising Senior Honours and Integrated Masters projects. I am the Admissions Officer for the School, and Chair the School Board of Studies.
Philip has featured in the following recent School news stories:
- Astronomy & astrophysics, 616
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 480, 4, p. 5625-5644
- Astrophysical Journal, 862, 2, p. 96
- Astronomy & astrophysics, 615