Professor A Murphy, FRAS, FinstP
- Professor of Nuclear & Particle Astrophysics
- Academic staff
James Clerk Maxwell Building (JCMB)
- Email: a.s.murphy [at] ed.ac.uk
- Tel: +44 (0)131 650 5285
- Personal home page
- Edinburgh Research Explorer profile
Alex is a member of the following School research institute, research groups and research areas:
Direct detection of dark matter, and nuclear astrophysics, especailly explosive scenarios.
Major roles in pre-honours teaching. Course organiser for Classical & Modern Physics (and Modern Physics). Also lecture modern physics (nuclear, particle and astrophysics) in first year.
Alex currently offers the following PhD project opportunities:
Alex has featured in the following recent School news stories:
Bright stars, dark matterIn this video Alexander describes his research on nuclear and particle astrophysics.
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 515, 3, p. 4013-4019
- Physical Review D, particles, fields, gravitation, and cosmology, 105, 8, p. 1-8
- Projected sensitivity of the LUX-ZEPLIN experiment to the two-neutrino and neutrinoless double β decays of 134Xe, Physical Review C, 104, 6
- Advancement of photospheric radius expansion and clocked type-I x-ray burst models with the new 22Mg(α,p)25 Al reaction rate determined at Gamow energy DOI, Physical Review Letters, 127, 17, p. 1-7
- Physical Review D, particles, fields, gravitation, and cosmology, 104, 6, p. 1-19