Dr A Hall
Alex is a member of the following School research institute:
Senior Research Associate, University of Edinburgh, Aug 2020 - present
Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Edinburgh, Oct 2013 - July 2020
PhD in Astronomy, University of Cambridge, Oct 2010 - Sept 2013
MSci & BA(Hons) in Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge, Oct 2006 - Sept 2010
Statistical methods in cosmology
Dark energy and modified gravity
Non-linear large-scale structure formation
Relativistic effects in large-scale structure
The cosmic microwave background
21cm intensity mapping
Weak gravitational lensing of galaxies and the CMB
Galaxy clusters and the Sunyaev-Zeldovich effect
Cross-correlations of cosmic probes
Primordial black holes and gravitational waves
Lyman-alpha emitting galaxies
Alessandro Maraio (2020 - )
David Copeland (Graduated 2019)
PhD in Astronomy, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge, Oct 2010 - Sept 2013. Supervisor: Anthony Challinor. Title: Probes Of Cosmology Beyond The Standard Model.
MSci & BA(Hons) in Natural Sciences (specialising in Theoretical Physics), University of Cambridge, Oct 2006 - Sept 2010, Triple First Class.
I am an advisor for the Research Methods In Physics course available in Year 3 of the Physics BSc/MPhys degree at the University of Edinburgh.
I usually offer an undergraduate summer research project at the Institute for Astronomy, see https://www.wiki.ed.ac.uk/display/pastudentinfo/Institute+for+Astronomy+Summer+Student+Projects for details of available projects.
I sometimes offer Senior Honours (Year 4) research projects at the University of Edinburgh.
I sometimes offer doctoral (PhD) projects at the Institute for Astronomy, see https://ifa.roe.ac.uk/phds-jobs-fellowships/phd-studentships for details.
Alex has featured in the following recent School news stories:
- The VANDELS survey: a measurement of the average Lyman-continuum escape fraction of star-forming galaxies at z=3.5 DOI, Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 513, 3, p. 3510-3525
- Physical Review D, 105, 12, p. 1-31
- Euclid: Covariance of weak lensing pseudo-Cℓ estimates Calculation, comparison to simulations, and dependence on survey geometry DOI, Astronomy and Astrophysics, 660, p. 1-15
- Accurate model for the primordial black hole mass distribution from a peak in the power spectrum DOI, Physical Review D, 105, 2, p. 1-10
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, 505, 4, p. 4935-4955